“Telling Tales, Searching for Truth" -- Town of Babylon 34th Annual Women’s History Month Program -- “Celebrating Women Who Tell Our Stories”

Last night I was honored to give the Keynote Address at the Town of Babylon’s 34th Annual Women’s History Month Program. This year’s theme was “Celebrating Women Who Tell Our Stories.” As promised, here is the transcript.

“Telling Tales, Searching for Truth”

Mary Cascone, Town Historian – March 28, 2023

I am proud to be the Historian for the Town of Babylon. Historians are story tellers but so much more. Story telling can be an art. You need to engage the audience, instill a bit of drama and suspense and, every now and then, throw in a twist ending. The stories can be fun but Historians also need to be a reliable conduit connecting our past and present, and be a resource for the future. So, while my work looks at the past, I see it as a resource for the future.

I’m known for debunking myths but to be more accurate I am known for doing my own research rather than repeating the work of others. I say that with no disrespect for my predecessors and their work. I have the great fortune of being a historian in the 21st century, and have more access to information from my laptop that they could have imaged. I believe that greater access also brings greater responsibility.

I also have a secret that I rarely share. I have struggled with doubts and insecurities for my whole life. If someone were to ask that terrible interview question “What are your weaknesses?” I would honestly say that “overthinking things” and “second guessing myself” are my struggles, until I had a realization.

A couple years ago, I was preparing to give a presentation before a group of Historians from around New York State, presenting the resources and techniques that I had compiled for local history research. But in a flood of Imposter Syndrome, I wondered why they should accept my work as legitimate. In that moment, I scribbled on a post-it “Second Guess” and “Overthink,” and I keep it taped near my desk. To that audience I declared:

·       My research style revolves around Overthinking and Second-Guessing information. It can make me annoying, but my research holds up. I am obsessed with having access to ALL information sources.

·       As a paralegal, I knew that my response should never be “I don’t know” but, rather, “I will find out.” I address history topics like I am preparing court exhibits.

·       I learned that my research should answer the question asked, but if the answer is insufficient, I should be able to detail all the ways that I tried to answer the question, and imagine the questions not asked.

To my own surprise, I learned that the weaknesses I perceived are, in fact, my superpowers. There was a time when people would say about my work “This is great. How did you find this?” and I would respond “It’s Magic.” But it isn’t magic. Paraphrasing Liam Neeson’s character in “Taken,” I prefer to say that “I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over my career. Skills that make me invaluable to local history.”

People have commented that I fluctuate between talking about I and WE. While I am the Town Historian, the Town Historian’s Office includes the work of my colleagues and fellow historians, the work of local historical societies, student interns and volunteers and include my fellow Town Employees. For I do not install historic markers myself, post on Facebook, or pay the electric bill. For me, local history doesn’t just take a village, it takes a Town.

So, in that vein, I will share four general principles of the Historian’s Office.

The first is “We never know what we might find …”

People reach out to us with all kinds of questions – looking for evidence of ghostly presences, family history and street names. The information is not always readily available but we the same answer – “We’ll look into that because we never know what we might find until we look.”

Thankfully, newspaper databases are being expanded all the time. However, in my experience, only a small percentage of the human experience has ever been published. Historically, people/events were typically reported if it involved – men, Caucasian people, wealthy people, events that were very "positive" (e.g., saving someone from a fire) or very "negative" (e.g., someone accused of a crime).

This leaves out a lot of people and information, but we still look and we are usually successful in finding SOMETHING. Questions from residents and researchers are an important part of the work and can lead us to answers and new questions that, otherwise, would be overlooked.

In the mid to late 1800s many areas in the Town of Babylon had large estates owned by well-to-do NYC families. The estates were identified by the wealthy men who made their fortunes in Manhattan and spent their weekends hunting, fishing and boating out here in the country.

In a myriad of books, articles and maps, you can learn that Electus B. Litchfield – railroad magnate – owned the property that is now Argyle Park in Babylon village. Litchfield Avenue is named for him. Mr. Litchfield never owned the country property. The title owner was Hannah Breed Litchfield, his wife. I have found little written about her but have learned that while her husband gained and lost their fortune at least twice, she was born in Connecticut, married at 19, had 5 children and the family split their time between homes in Brooklyn and Babylon.

Another long-told story is that Thomas Welwood created the community of Breslau, now Lindenhurst. Wellwood Avenue is named for him, although we spell it with 2 “Ls.”

Yes, Thomas was there. But he is not the one whose name was listed as the buyer of the property. It was Abby Cromwell Welwood, his wife. When building lots were sold, both Abby and Thomas’ names appeared on the deeds as sellers. Whether that was a legal requirement or a way to promote her husband, I cannot confirm. When lawsuits were brought by business partner Charles Schleier, Abby was a defendant right along with Thomas. I declare that Wellwood Avenue is named for Abby, and maybe Thomas too. It is no coincidence that the City of Breslau historic marker in front of the Lindenhurst historical society has Abby’s name listed first.

Large estates, farms, and businesses have long been identified by the men who owned or were associated with them. But for every one, there have always been women, other men, sometimes children, people of color and immigrants that have contributed. William E. Hawkins had a large Copiague estate that is now the Hawkins Estate neighborhood. He employed housekeepers, maids, cooks, gardeners and chauffeurs. We know some of their names because census records listed them as employees living on the estate. In 1915 the list included English immigrants Helen and Annie as waitress and maid, Irish immigrants Margaret and Delia as cook and laundress and chauffer Job Brewster who lived there with his wife Catherine. The Brewsters were recorded as Black but were Native Americans. I know that because I know their granddaughter. The estate was successful not just because of Mr. Hawkins, but because of the people that he employed.

Republic Aviation may have been the company that built the P-47s for World War II but I have actually met some of the women whose hands did the actual building. “Rosie The Riveter” is more than a poster. She was all of the manufacturing women, including our Rosies who worked in and around East Farmingdale.

In 1912, fire ruined Boyne’s Hotel and claimed one life; that of Alice Kennedy, a Black woman who had been employed as the hotel’s cook for just two weeks. Mrs. Kennedy had moved from the South for work, she was married but not living with her husband because he reportedly “spend his money on drink.” A fellow employee William Lewis tried to alert her of the danger, but it was too late. Her death was tragic, but through death she – and Mr. Lewis – are memorialized as two of the many who came to the resort areas of the South Shore, from Amityville to Babylon, to work. Job accidents are one of the unfortunate ways that the names of employees have been revealed.

I live in a house built in 1871. The family that built it were residents of the Town of Huntington until the Town of Babylon was created the following year. It has long been described as the Smith Powell House … but it isn’t. Mr. Powell didn’t own the property. It was owned by his wife, Sarah Nicolls Powell. I live in the Sarah Powell House. In fact, the first four owners of the house, from 1871 to 1904 were married women.

I thought that this might be an isolated situation until I did more property research and found that it was common – at least in our area – for wives to own secondary properties.

She is no longer with us but I am indebted to Theodora Tynebor whom I met about 15 years ago when she was about 98 years old. She grew up in a family of 10 children. They lived in Brooklyn but her parents bought a home in Amityville and put it in the mother’s name. Her mother brought the children out to Amityville for the whole summer and dad visited on weekends. According to Teddy, by putting the property in the wife’s name, she was able to transact business regarding her property even when her husband was not around. It was also a sort of life insurance policy for her mother to own something of her own if she became widowed.

Most of us understand that historically many women were unable to control their finances or inherit the same as men. By being record landowners it does not guarantee that women had an equal financial footing with men, but it is important that we don’t gloss over the position. We also cannot allow preconceived notions that women didn’t own property to keep us from looking for their participation.

In 1901, New York adopted a law allowing women who owned property – and were thereby taxpayers – to vote village and town elections. Situations in which men solely owned property, without their wife, left the wife without a vote. I have seen a few deeds in which husbands transferred their ownership from themselves to them and their spouse. Whether this was done as an act of fairness I cannot confirm but it worth noting in the journey for voting rights.

I have learned all of this because “you never know what you will find until you look.”

The second principle is “Context, Semantics and Minutiae.”

It is important to keep an open-mind in looking at the past is to understand the time period being examined.

When researching the history of the jails cells at Old Town Hall, I was frustrated by not finding results to my search of the word jail in the 1870s and 1880s in local newspapers. It was only after I realized that it was known as the “Lock Up” instead of “Jail” that the information was revealed.

Lillian Fishel was active in Babylon around the turn of the 20th century. She was part of the group that created the first Babylon Library and the Suffrage Study Club that supporting women’s voting rights. If I only search for the name Lillian Fishel, it appears as though she dropped out of society in 1913. Where did she go? She didn’t leave. She married Robert Oliver. So, when searching for Mrs. Robert Oliver, we find that she continued her campaign for voting rights across the region and was actively joined by her husband in the fight.

It is not the role of a local historian to just be a genealogist, but a good understanding of genealogy is vital to understanding the lives of women. When it comes to women’s first and maiden names, creating family trees from census records is useful because while newspapers referred to her as Mrs. Judson Hill, the census recorded her first name as Charlotte. Census records included the names and relationships of other people in the household which means that when a mother-in-law is listed with the name Esther Sload, we can use that as a search to confirm that Mrs. Judson Hill was born Charlotte Sload. (My grandmother, by the way.)

And boy do I LOVE MINUTIAE! My greatest professional high is locating the pebbles of information that eluded others. That tidbit might matter to just 3 or 4 people. When someone has been told that their home was built in 1910 and I can provide PROOF that it was built in 1891, well, that is one of the few times you will find me sing and dance.

The minutiae matters. It might be finding a marriage announcement or a store advertisement, identifying a real estate development or describing the building of a new school. No matter what it is, the information matters to someone.

My third principle is to “Use as many words as necessary to correctly convey the information and always cast a wide net.”

If we don’t use words correctly, it can cause confusion. But we also need to listen to words carefully so that we do not distort them.

If I state that Troop M is the oldest scout troop, some people will assume that Troop M was the first troop, when it is just the one that has been around the longest among those troops that are still in existence. By talking about Troop M, it gives an opportunity to talk about Troop B that was the first community troop but only lasted a few years and Troop J that was in existence for twice as long as Troop M but disbanded. (I can make anything complicated.)

·       In 1968, Sondra Bachety was the first woman elected to the Town Board and served as a Councilperson for 12 years. However, she was not the first woman elected in the Town of Babylon.

·       Anna Wild was appointed an Overseer of the Poor in 1924, making her the first woman to serve in a Town elected position. Mrs. Wild ran for the position in 1926, making her the first woman elected in Town of Babylon government, serving 1924-1929.

·       Following her appointment by the Town Board, Florence A. Dollard was the first woman to serve as Town Clerk, in 1929. However, the first woman elected to the position was Edna Eagan, serving 1968-1969. Edna Eagan was elected the same year as Sondra Bachety.

·       While Anna Wild was the first women elected in Town government, there is room enough in local history to acknowledge the accomplishments of more than just those deemed “first” and local history casts a wide net …

Elected in 1893, Charles D. Brewster was the first person of color to be elected in the Town of Babylon. He was a Native American and Civil War veteran from North Amityville.

I was aware of Mr. Brewster from other local history stories but until I spent the early months of the pandemic compiling lists of all Town elected officials, I did not realize that he had been elected to the position of Game Constable.

It was more than a century later that Town Clerk Janice Tinsley-Colbert became the first African-American elected in the Town of Babylon (2000-2008).

In 1872 when the NYS Legislature approved the new Town of Babylon, the law included that the first Town Board meeting be “held at the hotel of P.A. Seaman & Son, in the village of Babylon.”  The Seaman’s hotel was commonly known as the American House. P.A. Seaman was Phoebe Ann Seaman who had operated the Sumpwams Hotel with her husband Thomas until his death in 1856. By the early 1870s she sold the family’s hotel and became proprietor of the American House – not the owner but the one who ran the business. When she died in 1901 she was remembered as “a woman of much business ability” … “remembered by many whom she entertained at her hotels” having lived “a long, active and useful life.” By identifying with just initials, we could say that her gender was disguised but it was always there when we take the time to look.

Phoebe was far from the only widow to continue a family business. Nehring’s Hotel was first hotel built in Breslau. Fred Nehring was a Civil War veteran but died just 4 years later. Widowed with a 12-year-old daughter Agnes Nehring not only kept the hotel going, she invested in other businesses. She sparked the embroidery business in Lindenhurst by being the first person to import a Swiss Embroidery machine in 1886. Within a few decades, there were dozens of embroidery shops in Lindenhurst. As for the hotel, it later became Griebel’s hotel, but Agnes didn’t go anywhere. You see, daughter Lillie married Mr. Griebel. It continued to be a family business. As the next generation continued, they gave their name to the establishment.

Across the Town of Babylon, we can find the names of women who have contributed to our communities. When I adopted my cat from the Town Animal Shelter I delighted in seeing Ellen McVeety’s name across the building. At the Town beaches, you can visit the Sondra Bachety Pavilion. At SUNY Farmingdale you can find Delores Quintyne Hall, and in North Babylon you can visit Alice Cone Memorial Plaza. These women represent just a few of the women who have always been part of our communities, advocating for schools and libraries, running businesses, organizing events and helping to move all of us forward. Do not let us overlook their contributions or forget their names.

And lastly …

After dropping preconceived notions and expanding narratives, our stories still need Accuracy and Reliability. If not managed, local history can be a terrible game of telephone with rumors run amok.

Historians talk about this all the time. There are stories that have been told over and over – and with social media it’s like wild fire. But is there any proof. When did the story start and where did it come from.

·       A person who never lived in Deer Park wrote a book in 1957 claiming that President John Quincy Adams had a country home there. It was never true. It was a person with the same name – John Q. Adams – that was actually a renowned Baptist minister.

·       There was never a group of Native Americans named “The Copiague.”

·       There is no evidence that Chief Wyandanch lived in the area now named for him, but Wyandanch remains the only Town community named for an actual person.

·       And don’t try to tell me that Gilgo was named for a guy named “Gil” because it is a cute story but hasn’t been proven. Gilgo appears in land records at least a half a century before the supposed “Gil” was born.

From a professional standpoint, there is one phrase that I abhor – “The Good Old Days.” Some want to treat it as a time period, like the Bronze Age. But they only exist in people’s minds.

I actively read about the past 300 years and I can tell you that throughout that time people have found unbelievable ways to hurt one another, people died of diseases for which we now have cures … And, drunk driving didn’t start with automobiles.

But in every time I find the people who have done charitable and responsible things to help others and contribute to the growth and well-being of their communities. Scandals might sell newspapers but people and actions built communities.

With all of this, I contend that it is vital that we continue to TELL THE TALES, our stories are important. But we cannot be satisfied with just the tales that have been passed along to us. We have a RESPONSIBILITY to seek out overlooked information and be diligent in telling the truth. For not just today, but every day, when we bring light to Women’s History we shine a brighter light on everyone, and that makes for better stories.